Re: Microsoft Operations Manager, Systems Management Server comparable for Linux

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 19:20, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 16:05 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > If you can ssh to a box as root you can do anything remotely that you
> > could do locally short of a complete new install.  Normal maintenance
> > just requires a 'yum update' anyway.
>
> I doubt you'd want manually to do that with a few hundred boxes within
> an organisation.  I recall that there is a package for administering
> systems, recommended for those who want to change the defaults
> post-installation, but I cannot remember its name.

I do it with dozens and it doesn't take enough time that hundreds
would be a problem - but the remote ones are running Centos
where I've never had an update kill the machine.  I'm not so
sure I'd 'ssh yum -y update' a remote fedora box without
testing an exact duplicate first.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx