Re: could compile kernel from kernel.org for fedora?

Thanks for your help.
I could understand that it is easier for upgrade whole system to newer
version. But the reason is that why I don't upgrade all system to
release newer, because I want to shorten downtime. Because now this PC
we use it for production.

But if it is no choice for us, this step, upgrade to newer fedora
release, we should follow.

Zhou Zhen

On 7/13/06, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 09:37:21PM +0800, Zhen Zhou wrote:
> Thanks a lot. On the other words--if I want to compile new kernel, for
> instance, 2.6.17 or newer, the system should be upgrade to fedora
> release 5 in the end. That is not a good news for me.
> Is there any choices? because I only want to use upgrade the newer
> kernel, and taste new function, like pptp-nat, l7-filter and so on.
> Any tips? TIA

You can't eat your cake and still have it -- if you want the newest and
latest stuff, you can't have the old version of a distro.

Fedora Core 3 is also only supported by Fedora Legacy for security updates;
you'll be better off with FC5 or newer for other reasons as well.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx          <http://mattdm.org/>