Re: New article: Installing Linux remotely

Tim wrote:
On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 15:17 +0700, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
I wrote an article on how to install Linux remotely using Fedora Core 5/OpenSuse 10.1. I'm sure any other modern Linux distro can do this also.

Read the full article at:
http://linux2.arinet.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=135&Itemid=2

Interesting.  I wonder how you tell what IP to connect to, if you'd let
it set up its network using DHCP?

The way I have most often set it up, is to use a CGI script from a web server I control to tell the client how to install. From the Fedora Core boot CD prompt you might type:

linux text ks=http://myserver.com/cgi-bin/Fc5.cgi?PD=sd&TYPE=developer

These arguments are enough for the web server to generate and return an appropriate kick-start config file.

The same principle works from a PXE server, or a DHCP server, etc. All of these methods can tell the client where to get a kickstart config file, and that can be a cgi script. There is no practical limit to what you can accomplish automatically with a well crafted kickstart config file.

SUSE however, and all other distros that I am aware of, are more limited in this regard.

One of the things I would love to see is a universal install method that encompasses the best of all of the auto installers.

For example, the Fedora based kickstart/anaconda method is KERNEL dependant. That means if you roll your own Fedora based distro and create install CDs for it, your CDs can only install the version you have on the CD.

If I boot an official FC5 boot CD, and try to install FC5 Respin over the network, it will fail.