Re: Audigy 2 has no playback sound

On Wednesday 12 July 2006 22:36, Hadders wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I've just added a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS to my system and disabled
> my integrated sound.
>
> Then the new card is/was detected by Kudzu and even under
> system-config-soundcard the hardware looks to be correct,  snd-emu10k1
>
> However, I'm getting no playback sound? I've selected all the different
> output PCM options... but nothing.
>
> I've had  a quick hunt through google and am confused... my system
> appears to be setup for support okay, as it has the alsa-lib and
> alsa-utils (1.0.11-4 rc2)
>
> However, I have no /etc/modules.conf file, in which to place the
> recommend modules configuration
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Creative+
>Labs&card=Sound+Blaster+Audigy2+ZS+Value.&chip=CA0108&module=emu10k1
>
> Also, I am unsure as to why it detects, but does not playback. I've
> loaded alsamixer and things look okay in there?
>
> And yes, I have made sure the output jack IS in the right plug, as it
> works under Windoze.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers.

Hi. Which FC version are you using? From FC2 using the 2.6
kernel /etc/modules.conf has changed to /etc/modprobe.conf.

Will you post the output of:
cat /proc/asound/cards
cat /proc/asound/version
/sbin/lsmod

The fact that you can access Alsamixer sounds good. I dont know what controls
you have on your Alsamixer, but on mine for the Audigy2 sounblaster there is
a switch named "Audigy A" which needs to be unmuted. "M" toggles the
switches. The sliders I need up to get sounds, are, Master, PCM, Front, and
you may wish to try the first 2 Emu10k1 sliders just along from the Audigy A
switch. This is for stereo output, which I am using, not 5/1.

Which desktop are you using, and which app are you trying to play sounds with?

The card is supported according to the Alsa's soundcard matrix, but doesn't do
96k 24bit.

Nigel.