Re: Grub failed error 22 - FIXED

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 15:26 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Philippe wrote:
>

> Disclaimer: I do not claim to be a grub expert!

No problem ;-)

> Your symptoms suggest to me that you installed Fedora on your new disk
> (which you have now removed),
> together with the files in /boot/grub/ required by grub .
>
> However, it may be more complicated than that ...
>
> Incidentally, if that was the situation you might have been able
> to boot from the hard disk if you had told the BIOS
> to change the boot disk order
> (by entering the BIOS when you boot).
>
> Incidentally, if you now get the grub prompt
> (even without the new disk)
> it might be interesting to try giving grub commands,
> starting by typing "c" (for command line).
>
> You might have a "conversation" along the following lines
>
>         grub> root (hd0,1)
>         grub> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.16 root=/dev/hda5
>         grub> initrd /initrd-2.6.16.img
>         grub> boot
>
> You'd have to change the linux versions, of course -
> grub is quite good at looking for files,
> eg completing the line if you say
>
>         grub> kernel /vmlin<TAB>

Not sure what was the solution but I tried to make everything clean.
Booting in rescue mode, I fsck all 3 drives (unmounted).

Then, booting with only one disk. Then launch grub and install
everything by hand.
grub
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

Then boot was OK. Then plug the 2 other disk and still OK now.

Thanks a lot for your technical advices.

Philippe
--
Philippe, Chiangmai, Thailand
May The Source Be With You