Re: Playing MP3s

Robin Laing wrote:
Temlakos wrote:

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

So, why is it that I can not play an MP3 through any of the KDE audio players that come installed 9with you install the KDE stuff) and yet when I manually compiled and installed XMMS, I can play them just fine?

 >Snip<

Temlakos

Temlakos,

Good description.  Very good.

I rip my CD's to flac which is a lossless format. Then I use soundconverter (Dries) to convert to ogg for playing on my iRiver. After testing, I found that ogg or mp3 compression at high quality creates files that are very similar in size.

Thanks for the tip. Thanks also to the poster who reminded me that Ogg Vorbis-compatible hardware does exist. In fact, here's an excellent Wiki page from Xiph.org:

http://wiki.xiph.org/VorbisHardware

Temlakos