re: Wireless PCMCIA

Jim Lowman wrote:

> As to Windows, this last week when on vacation, I took
> my laptop.  While I was able to get a network
> connection at two hotels, I could not get on the
> Internet to save my life; not even with a dial-up
> connection.  So much for Microsoft and plug-and-play.

What could you connect to, if you could get a connection,
but not to the internet?

In my - not very extensive - experience,
Windows often claims to be connected when there is no connection
in the ordinary sense of that word -
I often have to go to "View available networks"
and click on "Connect" there.

Maybe it would be worth having Firefox on Windows,
to try if IE didn't work.
Perhaps you were supposed to specify a proxy in Preferences?

> Booting FC5, at the hotel where there was an Ethernet
> connection, I was on the 'Net without a problem.  At
> the next hotel they offered only wireless access, so I
> was SOL since my wireless card is not compatible with
> Linux.
>
> Yesterday I asked the question, both on this list and
> on LinuxForums, about what a reliable Linux-compatible
> wireless card for a Dell 8500 laptop would be, without
> having to resort to a custom kernel or ndiswrapper.
> The sum of my responses: 1.
>
> So, I'm puzzled about the lack of response to the
> question, since most questions I've seen here get
> several responses within the next couple of digests.

In my experience, you are more likely to get a connection
without any problems with an 11b card.
I've found the Orinoco Classic Gold PCMCIA cards
are the most likely to work among those I have tried.

In my case, I don't even find 11g any faster,
as the bottleneck is not the wireless link.

Nb As will probably be clear, I do not claim to be a WiFi expert.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366