Re: spontaneous unmount - getting warm

Hi Albert,
So far I've not noticed any problems with /boot, but many
thanks for the warning. I'll take care there.
Do you think this is a kernel thing? I'm currently running
RHEL4, kernel 2.6.9-22.0.1.ELsmp on an Opteron system,
gnome-desktop-2.8.0-5. All disks (including boot disk) are SCSI.

Currently 3 workrounds for me:

1. Make sure the console GUI is logged out and do the mount from
   a remote terminal.

2. Log in on the console GUI as a normal user, su to root and
   do the mount.

3. Make sure the console GUI is logged out, start a virtual terminal
   session (CTRL/ALT/F1), log in as root and do the mount.

I wonder why a kernel upgrade should involve a 'grub --install' step?
I thought all that was necessary was to load the new kernel files into
/boot and modify grub.conf, and that a 'grub-install' would only be
necessary if grub itself was changed. I've certainly plonked new
kernels into /boot (and loaded associated /lib/modules), modified
grub.conf and they have booted OK...

Cheers, and many thanks for your help here,
Terry.