From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Mikkel L. Ellertson
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 8:03 PM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: Wireless PCMCIA

<--------------[ SNIP ]------------------>

<--------------[ SNIP ]------------------>
> Am I being ignored because the answer is out there
> somewhere in the archives and no one wants to give me
> RTFM as an answer?  I have invested in quite a number
> of technical books on Linux and FC5, BTW. as well as
> considerable Googling.
>
> Jim

In my case, I did not answer because I have no experience with the
802.11g cards. My laptop has built-in wireless and I use the ipw3945
driver. Because it is not part of the standard FC5 kernels, I have
to ether build a new driver, or download it from AT rpms with each
kernel upgrade. Now, if you were interested in 802.11b cards, I
could offer a couple of ideas, but I have not used any of them with
FC5, so I am not sure how much help I could be.

I think part of the problem is that so many of the newer laptops
have wireless built in, so people figure out how to use what comes
with the laptop. Another part of the problem is that is is hard to
tell if a specific card is going to work. It would be different if
the manufacturer would change model numbers when they change chip
sets in the card. But too many of them do not. It is interesting
when you go to download the Windows drivers, and you have to pick
the correct card model out of 5 or 6 choices, all of them having the
same number, and maybe different revision numbers. Even if you know
a specific revision number will work, a lot of the time you have no
way of knowing what revision the card is until you open the box and
look at the card.

This is not just a Linux problem. You run into the same problem
getting cards that work with older versions of Windows CE as well.

Mikkel