Re: KDE update - lost control centre ?

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:05:45 -0500
Rex Dieter <rdieter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> >
> >> My "problem" is that I don't run Fedora's KDE.  I compile KDE from
> >> KDE's Branch 3.5 SVN tree.  So when "redhat-menus" is installed, my
> >> K-menu is hosed.  Uninstall it, all is well.
> >> But the problem that everyone else seems to be having is, I think,
> >> different than mine, because no one seems to have mentioned that
> >> they compile KDE from source.  (Even though I compile KDE from
> >> source, I DO NOT compile it for the same location that Fedora
> >> installs it's KDE rpm's in :))
> >>
> >> Steven P. Ulrick
> >>
> >> P.S.: Just wondering: should I file a bug report against
> >> redhat-menus?
> >
> > Do what fc's packaging now does.  Move kde's
> > /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu to (something like)
> > /etc/xdg.d/kde/applications.menu
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Oops, make that move
> /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu
> /etc/xdg.d/kde/menus/applications.menu

Hello, Rex
I got this email just minutes after I sent a question to the list about
your previous instructions.  Of course, refer to that first.
I did exactly as you said above, and this is the result:
http://www.afolkey2.net/Kmenu-Screenshot-3.jpg

That is how my K-Menu always looks after re-installing redhat-menus.

I then commented out the additions that I made to ~/.bash_profile,
logged out, logged back in, and I ended up getting my K-Menu back the
way that it is supposed to be.

But I am still interested in anything I can do to keep from having to
reinstall redhat-menus in the future, just so I can get updates that
depend on it....

Steven P. Ulrick

P.S.: I still assume that I somehow misunderstood your instructions, as
well as your errata to your original instructions.

--
 17:07:31 up 8 days, 21:05,  2 users,  load average: 0.58, 0.57, 0.53