Wireless PCMCIA

Such a dissapointment.

Over the recent weeks I have really put in the hours getting to grips with Linux by way of Fedora, having progressed from FC3-4 and now FC5.

Being more than satisfied with results until now. Big problem.

I went and bought a PCMCIA card for my laptop hoping to be able to use it.

My HDD is divided into two - Windows XP and Fedora 5.

It took probably about 2 minutes to install the card, up and running under XP.

Some six hours later, after reading through numerous internet descriptions on how one might install such a device, downloading and installing gigabytes of files, wrappers etc. etc... still nothing! Eventually giving up in despair I decided that some of my original fears about Linux have to be correct. It is just a muddle of half cooked amateur computer files cobbled together to resemmble an OS that probably performs somewhere at about 60% compared to that of Bill Gates' Windows.

Over the past years I have tried linux, different flavours, different version, always the same frustrating result.

One wonders when the linux comunity will either ever get it right or give it up as a bad job.

Such as what by todays technology standards should be such a simple affair, as Microsoft have proved - plug in and install a PCMCIA wireless card within three minutes - no typing fingers to the bone wearing out keyboards in the process, for no result in six hours!!!! Guiness Book of Records stuff me thinks!