Re: eatmail issue...

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 22:32, Dave Stevens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Kmail 1.8.2 (Using KDE 3.5.3-4.1.fc3.kde). As you see I am using
> Fedora Core 3. Generally I am happy with Kmail but every once in a while it
> eats my mail. It happens only in my inbox. Unfortunately, yesterday it ate
> about 1700 pieces of mail. I'll survive, but I don't really want this to
> happen. The way it happens is always the same - I go to my inbox and
> highlight a header line in the top right pane. It renders in the lower
> right pane and then after several seconds (5 or so, say, I haven't timed it
> accurately) the headers change to read "unknown" for sender, date and
> subject and the size becomes some very small number, typically 38 bytes. An
> attempt to view the message source shows nothing at all.
>
> I  have numerous filters to slot incoming mail into subfolders. As far as I
> can see these messages have no problem at all.
>
> I am considering upgrading to Fedora Core 5 but don't know if that is
> likely to help. For the moment I'd rather have Kmail behave properly. I
> don't like Evolution and would rather not have to switch, but this can't go
> on.
>
> I've posted a screenshot at:
> http://hp.bccna.bc.ca/~aa056/KmailScreenshot.png for those who want a
> closer look. You can see that the folder is NOT inbox - this is because I
> immediately moved all inbox mail to the temporary folder you see here.
>
> Suggestions?

This is a known issue with kmail, in some versions.  It's caused by corrupt
indexes, mostly (but not, I think, exclusively) in mbox files.  The
workaround is simple enough, though.  You can't avoid losing one message when
it happens, but if you recognise it straight away you should simply close
kmail, navigate to the main mail folder, and look for the index files related
to the folder in question - Inbox, I think it was in your case?  Delete the
index files .inbox.index, inbox.index.ids and inbox.index.sorted.  They will
be recreated when you restart, though you may have lost any flags you have
set.

HTH

Anne