eatmail issue...

Hi,

I am using Kmail 1.8.2 (Using KDE 3.5.3-4.1.fc3.kde). As you see I am using
Fedora Core 3. Generally I am happy with Kmail but every once in a while it
eats my mail. It happens only in my inbox. Unfortunately, yesterday it ate
about 1700 pieces of mail. I'll survive, but I don't really want this to
happen. The way it happens is always the same - I go to my inbox and
highlight a header line in the top right pane. It renders in the lower right
pane and then after several seconds (5 or so, say, I haven't timed it
accurately) the headers change to read "unknown" for sender, date and subject
and the size becomes some very small number, typically 38 bytes. An attempt
to view the message source shows nothing at all.

I  have numerous filters to slot incoming mail into subfolders. As far as I
can see these messages have no problem at all.

I am considering upgrading to Fedora Core 5 but don't know if that is likely
to help. For the moment I'd rather have Kmail behave properly. I don't like
Evolution and would rather not have to switch, but this can't go on.

I've posted a screenshot at: http://hp.bccna.bc.ca/~aa056/KmailScreenshot.png
for those who want a closer look. You can see that the folder is NOT inbox -
this is because I immediately moved all inbox mail to the temporary folder
you see here.

Suggestions?

Dave

--

I found one day in school a boy of medium size ill-treating a smaller boy. I
expostulated, but he replied: 'The bigs hit me, so I hit the babies; that's