Re: Speaking of fonts...

Le mardi 11 juillet 2006 à 13:11 +0930, Tim a écrit :

> > But the printer or its device-specific driver knows how wide/tall a sheet
> > of paper is and the DPI in any mode is fixed.  So it's easy for the
> > printer or driver to know how many dots are in a point.
>
> Can we not preset the same information into X?  I know you can configure
> the Gimp, and Mozilla (at least older versions), so it knew how many
> centimetres across the screen used how many pixels.  Surely it's not too
> hard to configure X, itself, with a "my screen is x by y cms where the
> display is actually drawn" when setting it up.  (Remembering that with
> PCs, a 17" monitor is a useless description, it measure the entire tube,
> not the usable part of it.  And we have width and height scan controls
> on most CRTs.)

$ xdpyinfo

screen #0:
  dimensions:    1680x1050 pixels (431x272 millimeters)
  resolution:    99x98 dots per inch

In xorg.conf:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Belinea"
        ModelName    "10 20 35W"
        DisplaySize  434        272

(only because the dcc-autoprovided size is not as precise as I'd like it
to be)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot