Re: yum db lossage

wld wrote:

> I a afraid that after
>    rpm --initdb
> his rpm database is empty... From man rpm
>
>   REBUILD DATABASE OPTIONS
>       The general form of an rpm rebuild database command is
>
>       rpm {--initdb|--rebuilddb} [-v] [--dbpath DIRECTORY] [--root
> DIRECTORY]
>
>       Use --initdb to create a new database, use --rebuilddb to
> rebuild  the
>       database indices from the installed package headers.
>
> The only way to get a list of installed packages I know of is
> to look into the file /var/log/rpmpkgs , generated every night by cron.
> Then OP could try restore his rpm database by hand, using --justdb
> option of rpm command.

The only problem with that is that RPM needs the .rpm file to do it.
If it were not for that, and the dependency problems, you could do
something like:

for i in $(cat /var/log/rpmpkgs) ; do rpm -ivh --justdb $i ; done

You could probably get most of them restored by changing to the
Fedora/RPMS directory on the DVD image, and running:

for i in $(cat /var/log/rpmpkgs) ; do rpm -ivh --justdb --nodeps $i
; done

You might have to use the --force option instead of the --nodeps
option, but I would try it with --nodeps first. You could then use
yum to re-install the ones that are updates, or just download them
and use rpm to update the database from the files.

Mikkel