Re: FC5 & Dell 2007FPW - Anybody got widescreen?

Ric Moore wrote:
> Xvidtune will hurtcha if you are not verwy verwy careful... hehheheheheh
>
> I blew the smoke out of a very nice 15" multisync back when they cost
> large dollars, just because I thought it would do something that it
> would not. xvidtune just gleefully did what I told it to do...
> <POOF!> before I could hit the power button to off. The flyback made a
> ZING! noise, then I saw the smoke. I cried like a grandmother that day
> over a ruined display and $500 "up in smoke".

I understand that modern monitors are *much* less likely to do this (and
LCDs don't have the right sort of hardware for the pyrotechnics). With
the electronics in them, modern monitors can wait until the incoming
signal has definitely stabilised and is definitely something that the
monitor is prepared to handle before they even try displaying something.
If the monitor isn't happy with the signal it will either go black, or
possibly display a "NO SIGNAL" message.

That's why there's a ~1 second delay when you switch resolutions. The
delay doesn't cost the manufacturer anything, but broken screens mean
they have to handle the returns.

But then there's my sigmonster's take on things:

--
E-mail address: james | DON'T be put off by "horror stories" spread by
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | others.  People who talk about death and serious