Re: Where are the log files that show the problems at boot up?

Jack Gates wrote:
On Sunday 09 July 2006 14:42, Jack Gates wrote:
On Sunday 09 July 2006 14:33, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Jack Gates writes:
On Sunday 09 July 2006 13:48, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Jack Gates writes:
On Sunday 09 July 2006 13:15, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Jack Gates writes:
I have a problem with httpd suddenly not starting.  I saw the
message at boot up but could not read it because it passed by too
fast.

Are there log files kept that show what happened at boot up? Where are they?

FC5 upgrade from FC4, FC3, FC2
Don't worry about it.  Try:

service httpd start

And see what happens.
Sorry for not saying so, but I already did and then did a reboot and
saw the error message a boot up and then ran service httpd start
again and got nothing.  I did not see the whole message just that
there is something about no such file or no such directory.
Wait until you see "Press 'I' to begin interactive startup", do that,
and step through the startup sequence, one command at a time.
Sam Thanks for showing me the "Press 'I' to begin interactive startup"

/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf is looking for
/etc/httpd/modules/mod.access.so

mod.access.so is not on my box anywhere

I did not delete it and I did not change the configuration of
httpd.conf or any files in /etc

So where did it go? scratching head!?!
It went nowhere, because it never existed.

Obviously, the correct Apache module being referenced is mod_access.so,
and you have a typo in httpd.conf
Logical thought.  I checked for mod_access.so also and I did not change
anything in httpd.conf and the server was working just fine when I went to
bed but not after I got back up. Very weird!

Okay I went back and checked httpd.conf and the start up error and it is mod_access.so but the file does not exist on my box anywhere.

You have updated from FC4 to FC5. You now have apache httpd 2.2, which no longer has mod_access.so. You should find in /etc/httpd/conf a file httpd.conf.rpmnew, which is the new default httpd config file. Part of the upgrade process you need to follow is to look in /root/upgrade.log for mentions of config files saved as .rpmnew or .rpmsave files and then go and edit them manually as appropriate for your system.

So in this case one of the things you will need to do is to migrate any manual changes you made to httpd.conf into the httpd.conf.rpmnew file and then replace httpd.conf with httpd.conf.rpmnew.

Paul.