Re: Speaking of fonts...

On Sun, 2006-07-09 at 20:03 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> If I correctly set the DPI for my Westinghouse LVM-42w2
> 42" 1920x1080 dpi monitor, the setting is 52dpi, and at
> 52 dpi everyone seems to draw fonts that are somewhere
> around 4 or 5 pixels high and mostly unreadable even
> if you paste your eyeball to the screen :-).

Yep, you're stuffed, because the people providing those options haven't
understood the situation properly (those who design font rendering
engines, and those who get you to set font sizes in pixels in web
browser configurations).  I get the same thing (stupid font sizes).

DPI means how many dots per inch, or pixels in that inch, will be used
to draw the character (how smooth the edges are).  It has *NOTHING* to
do with how big the character should be drawn.

Geez, that problem was dealt with properly on printers ten years ago.
Changing your printer from 24 DPI to 48 DPI, for example, didn't change
the font sizes, unless the driver was written by a complete and utter
moron.  You just got smoother looking fonts, at the same size.

In this day and age of using scaled/vector type of fonts, for just about
everything, I don't know why this old, treat it like a bitmap, stupidity
still exists.

I read messages from the public lists.