Re: Why I see certain messages from mailing list not ordered corectly by thread

On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 17:15 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> I agree that it could be improved.  The default mailman generated
> archives have no search feature at all, which is something that's
> frequently requested on the mailman-users list.
>
> One way that the mailman-users list helps direct list members to a
> good archive search is by including it in the footer for each message:

One possible way to supplement this list would be to additionally link
in with www.gmane.org so that the email list is duplicated in a format
compatible with newsreaders (slirn, or knode/pan/thunderbird) for
reading, searching, posting, and threading.

comparatively speaking, my preference for list-reading is FIRMLY in the
nntp camp. MUCH easier to keep track of, easier on the bandwidth too
(for you folks that have this problem with paying for bandwidth), as you
only download headers at first and not the entire message each time. :-)

I've known a few lists that have successfully linked in both their
traditional format, supplemented via gmane. Works very well.

little blurb from their site:

        Free software is mainly developed on mailing lists. Mailing
        lists have many advantages over other forms of communication,
        but they have two weaknesses: It's difficult to follow
        discussions in a sensible way, and mailing list archives (when
        they exist) have a tendency to disappear over time.

        Several mailing list archives exist, but these are all hidden
        under a web interface. Reading mail that way is not convenient.
        Reading mail as if it were news is convenient.

        This is what Gmane offers. Mailing lists are funneled into news
        groups. This isn't a new idea; several mail-to-news gateways
        exist. What's new with Gmane is that no messages are ever
        expired from the server, and the gateway is bidirectional. You
        can post to some of these mailing lists without being subscribed
        to them yourself, depending on whether the mailing lists allow
        non-subscribers to post or not.

        In addition, Gmane does spam detection, cross-post handling, has
        a TMDA-fueled encryption/forwarding service, a web interface,
        respects X-No-Archive, supplies RSS feeds, uses SPF, features
        user-defined filters, gathers traffic statistics, and has a
        real-time indexing search engine.

For more details, see http://www.gmane.org/