Re: Why I see certain messages from mailing list not ordered corectly by thread

Anne Wilson wrote:
> Archives are not always easy to search.

I agree that it could be improved.  The default mailman generated
archives have no search feature at all, which is something that's
frequently requested on the mailman-users list.

One way that the mailman-users list helps direct list members to a
good archive search is by including it in the footer for each message:

Mailman-Users mailing list
Mailman-Users@xxxxxxxxxx

It might be helpful if something similar was added to the fedora-list
footer, or at least to the listinfo page so that new users could find
it easier.

Another handy trick you can use with google that many people may not
be aware of is to use the inurl tag.  To search this list using
google, you could add this to your query:

inurl:www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/

> I've often had better luck just googling and reading anything I can
> find related to the problem, regardless of which distro.

Yeah, me too.  That works wonders for problems that are more than a
few hours or days old.  It doesn't help so much when the issue is
multiple people asking a question that's been asked and answered
several times in the past day, much as the recent threads on the
various packages with broken dependencies.

Of course, adding a link to search and read the archives doesn't mean
that most people will bother to do so before posting.  Unfortunately.

That's why acronyms like GIYF and RTFM have become so popular. ;-)

- --
Every man should have a college education in order to show him how
little the thing is really worth.
    -- Elbert Hubbard (1856-1915), "A Message to Garcia"