Re: Skype Handset

Dotan Cohen wrote:
On 08/07/06, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 08/07/06, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Well, I do have more descriptive terms, but this is a mixed list. :(
>>

> Gene, have you considered getting yourself a domain name? You can get
> them hosted for free, with POP3 email, at hundereds of providers. In
> exchange, you might need to put up a webpage with an advertisment at
> the domain- big deal. The domain itself would probably run you about
> $7 a year (that's what I pay).
>
> That way nobody's filtering your email for you. You can run
> SpamAssassin- which is so effective that I don't even use Tbird's SPAM
> filters, and I average over 80 spams a day. And you can leave verizon
> without changing your email address.
>
> Dotan Cohen
> http://what-is-what.com

I may investigate that when I get home, sounds like a good deal.  I
already run SA at home.  I suppose one has to put up with an appended
advertisement to get this?

To get the email, no. Nor SpamAssasin. Only on the webpage should you
have to put an advertisement. But you don't seem so interested in the
webpage anyway.

If you're willing to pay something like $1.50 a month, I've a great
webhost that I can recommend:
http://www.wefixtech.co.uk/

It's run by someone I've met online, but I've no financial interest in
the matter. Just someone who I trust who runs a reliable hosting
outfit. I think there's providers who do no-ad webhosting for even
less.

In any case, whether you go with a free webbased account or your own
domain, get rid of the Verizon email account! Of course, you'll keep
receiving mail at Verizon until all your contacts get the message that
you'd prefer to receive mail at the new address.

Dotan Cohen
http://gmail-com.com

And thereby hangs the tail. With my extended family now reaching grandchildren with their own accounts & even greatgrandchildren in a couple of cases, that might take a while.

--
Cheers, Gene