Re: What to do when a command isn't found?

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 12:50 +0200, nigel henry wrote:
> This is mainly a problem for newbies, who trying a command, are returned to
> the prompt with a "command not found", which can mean many things. In this
> case the path to the command is missing, but could also be due to a typo,
> need to be root, package not installed, and so on, and is a bit confusing
> initially.

I'm reminded of this rather lovely command that we had on ye olde Amiga
OS, "why".

If you got an error message back from some command, it was typically
terse (as the above "command not found" example), experienced users
would know what it meant, and didn't get cluttered with large error
messages (unlike the Data General mainframe I once used, that'd give you
a two-liner for nearly every little error).  But if you wanted more
information on why you got the last error message, you'd just type in
"why" into the console.  Then you'd get something much more verbose.

I read messages from the public lists.