Re: What to do when a command isn't found?

On Friday 07 July 2006 11:54, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 20:50 +0200, nigel henry wrote:
> > It would make sense for /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin being in
> > ~/.bash_profile as default. /usr/local/bin, and /usr/local/sbin probably
> > are not neccessary, as these would only be there from user installed
> > source tarballs.
> >
> > There do not seem to be any security issues here, as any user can add
> > pathways to ~/.bash_profile, and they can only read the info, not change
> > it.
>
> There probably still are things that a user can do some harm with sbin
> commands, so I wouldn't be too carefree about it.  On a single user
> system it probably isn't too much of a problem, beyond having to fix up
> what went wrong (though they'd have to know what to do).  Keeping them
> out of the path helps against accidents and following bad advice.
>
> On a multi-user system there's more potential to cause a problem.
> Putting such commands in sbin sub-directories makes it less likely for
> them to be used accidentally.  And it can be a method of making it next
> to impossible for unauthorised users to use those commands.

Hi Tim. I see the point you're making here, particularly with a multi-user
system.

This is mainly a problem for newbies, who trying a command, are returned to
the prompt with a "command not found", which can mean many things. In this
case the path to the command is missing, but could also be due to a typo,
need to be root, package not installed, and so on, and is a bit confusing
initially.

Once you get used to how it all works it's fine, and there's always lots of
willing help on the various lists.

Nigel.