Re: kmod-nvidia not working in kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 11:53 -0400, Scott R. Godin wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Screaming fire in a crowded theater when your pants are on fire seems
> > a bit ridiculous.
>
> The filesystem corruption I'm experiencing is a result of whatever
> wierdness was going on with writes from memory, and possibly swap (not
> 100% certain) but again, this is what happened *this time* (the fifth
> re-install of FC5) -- the four prior re-installs were caused by
> completely different problems. the sheer lack of any connecting events
> between five reinstalls is considerably annoying. kmod_nvidia is one of
> the connecting strings between all these events. I have now eliminated
> this thread and am waiting-and-seeing to determine if the problem still
> exists. so far, for a month, no sign.
>
> the hard disk is brand spanking new, as is the SATA card. nice try
> though. and I, insane skewball that I am, did a low level format and
> deep badblocks check of the *brand new* drive, before doing ANYTHING
> with it. 250GB drive. took a looooooooong ass time. I'm pretty damned
> sure about the drive at this point.
>
> overheating? nope.
> stuff wrong with the cpu? highly doubtful.
>
> like I said, it's working fine now, and the only difference at all is
> the absence of kmod_nvidia.
>
> filesystem corruption was just one of the many symptoms I experienced.
>
> However, the advice I gave was sound. automatic checking of the
> filesystems at boot time is off by default, and as you can see, the
> tune2fs manpage does warn that this is probably not a good idea.
>
> additionally running rpm -Va once a week in the wee hours isn't a bad
> idea either, if you're bullish on the integrity of the installed
> packages.
>
> you could try toning your insulting tone down a bit. I've been very
> patient with you about it but you're wearing on my nerves gradually...
> If you're trying to get a rise out of me, save it.
>
> *IF* the problems re-occur (and they might, I didn't re-install the
> system this time, just recovered via fsck, removed kmod_nvidia, and
> reinstalled a few of the badly corrupted essential rpm packages,
> although I haven't gotten to everything yet), I'm perfectly willing to
> concede that kmod_nvidia is not at fault. This has not yet happened. If
> it does, I'll happily investigate further for a real culprit.
>
> So far, the finger still points quite firmly at kmod_nvidia, and it's
> becoming increasingly difficult to support any other avenues of
> culpability.
>
> It's pure Holmsian deduction: "How often have I said to you that when
> you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however
> improbable, must be the truth?"
> http://yoak.com/sherlock/stories/sign_four/sign_of_four.txt
>
> Instead of fingerpointing and arm waving, how about you do something
> constructive, and instead of telling me how many people appear to be
> running just fine, either _PROVE ME WRONG_ with cold facts, or take
> *your* "personal FUD campain" somewhere else. Hm?

While I cannot prove beyond doubt that the kmod-nvidia package was not
responsible for your problem, Lonni's point (and I concur) is that if
the nvidia driver were the party at fault then others surely would be
seeing the same problems you have.  I have seen no one else reporting
these problems and apparently Lonni has not either, in spite of my
participation on several related mailing lists.

One thing that disturbs me is your insistence that your problems are
related to a video driver when the problems you identify are all of a
filesystem corruption type.  I went through a period of about 3 months
where I was getting filesystem corruption on a brand new drive.  After I
decided that it may have been related to problems with the drive and I
contacted the manufacturer, it was determined the new drive was actually
bad. (The OS never logged a single error on the drive, nor did smartd
detect it.)  I wound up replacing the same drive 4 times via RMA since
it seemed they had a bad batch of drives and I kept getting the bad
ones. Eventually the symptoms were eliminated and I now have a stable
system.  I had similar experiences when a power supply was marginal and
caused flaky writes to the drive in that system.

You may need to consider other possibilities even though you insist the
video driver is at fault.

My point is that your viewpoint seems a bit myopic and that since you
have "identified" the problem you seem unwilling to consider any other
possibilities.  I wish you the best, but please take your vitriolic
comments someplace else.  If no one else is seeing the same problems in
spite of using the same software then it seems very likely that you have
picked an innocent victim and that your problems may surface in a
different manner or resurface even though the "cause" has been removed.

I, personally, saw nothing wrong with Lonni's comment that triggered
this tirade from you.  I have seen you respond forcibly and with great
heat to several who indicated you may be picking on the wrong cause.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-July/msg00078.html
    says you have a sata problem
    (maybe responsible for filesystem corruption?)
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-July/msg00486.html
    vitriol with no constructive value
and more in the same tone.  I did not look at any from June for this.

Please, please,  just step back, take a deep breath, and think, instead
of blowing up at the least little thing that is contrary to your
beliefs.
Vitriol does not win friends or support.  Honesty, openness, and
attempting to help yourself instead of blaming others does.

BTW,
Something seriously is a problem with your timeline.  You have said you
have done 5 complete reinstalls with weeks or months between [1], and
all were FC5 and all triggered by the nvidia driver.  How did you get
that many installs with that time period for each, between the release
of FC5 on February 28 [2] and today, July 6? FC5 has only been out for 4
months total, so most would have HAD to be of less than 2 weeks each if
you had even one that was over a month. Unless you are exaggerating???

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-July/msg00627.html
[2] http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc5/