Re: how to avoid spam mail from external network

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 08:54 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 11:15 +0530, yogesh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
hi frieds
i have mail server on linux
my mail server generate spam mail
how to avoid this spamming

the spam mail will come from external globval network
i thaught that my server any port is opren
how to secure my mail server
You will need to tell people:

* which mail server software you are running
* which configuration options you have changed from the defaults
* what the spam looks like (with full headers)

Paul.
  The above described information would be interesting but I think the
answer is to use spamassassin which comes with the
distribution. Instructions for use are on the web and in the file
users_prefs.template. Use of procmail to separate the spam and non-spam
streams would be useful.

He said his server was *generating* spam mail, which is a configuration/security/abuse issue.

SpamAssassin helps with filtering received mail, but not with this type of problem. Well, perhaps if SA was used for outbound mail too, but that would be partially addressing the symptoms rather than finding a cure.

Paul.