Re: kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5 broke ACPI S3 on thinkpad T42p

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 22:16 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> Patrick wrote:
> > I'm in the same boat with an Acer Ferrari 4005. Suspend always
> > works.  Resume never. On resume the screen does not even get powered
> > up. The logs do not contain any useful information. I tried all the
> > pm-* apps which did not work. Various scripts found with google did
> > neither. I did notice that neither "radeontool light off" nor
> > "vbetool vbestate save" would work. Both give an error. Th 4005 has
> > an ATI X700 (PCI Express).  Any chance your laptop is using the same
> > videocard?
>
> Nope.  Mine's got an nVidia GeForce Go 7800.  I'm using the xorg
> driver, not the nVidia one.

I tried both the ATI proprietary driver and the one from xorg. With both
resume does not work. Also tried the Option "VBERestore" "true" in
xorg.conf. It made no difference.

Does the command "vbetool vbestate save" return an error on your laptop?
See man vbetool for more information about this app.

> I haven't tried too awful many things, mostly because I've yet to
> figure out how the suspend and hibernate process is meant to work in
> FC5.  Things are different with the pm-utils than then were with older
> versions, as near as I can tell.

Same here. Tried to add various scripts in /etc/pm/{actions,events} and
also installed acpitool and tried acpitool -s. Suspending always works,
resume does not. No blinking HD led and no power to the screen. When I
do a hard reset and the laptop reboots I always see the kernel say there
was no suspend signature found.

> This is the first laptop I've had, so it's my first time even
> experimenting with the power management stuff.  If I can find docs on
> how the system works or make the time to pick through all the code to
> figure it out, I'll feel more comfortable in being able to try adding
> this or that to the mix to see what works.

If you find something I would appreciate it if you could post your
findings.

> I won't lose sleep over it, but it'd be nice to get it working as it's
> the only broken functionality of my hardware that I know of.  With the
> 2.6.17 kernel and the inclusion of the sdhci driver, the memory card
> reader is working now.  Suspend/Hibernate is the final thing on my
> list at this point.

My card reader is not working yet but there are some encouraging
results. Not thanks to TI's stubborn refusal to release documentation
for the card reader's chipset. Sigh, when will TI and Broadcom catch up
to reality.

Anyway, I would love to see this laptop suspend & resume correctly. Hope
there will be some progress with a new kernel and/or pm-utils rpm.

Regards,
Patrick