Re: Asymetric network speed question

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 11:21 -0600, David G. Miller wrote:
> I guess next thing is to try a different NIC in the workstation and
> see if its the NIC.  The NICs were surplussed to me from where I used
> to work so I can't complain too much if I have trouble with them.
> They probably wouldn't have gotten rid of them unless there was a
> reason.

Even "good" ones don't always work well for someone else.  They might
work well with Windows drivers, but not Linux, or vice versa.

I have an issue with one of mine that way.  On a dual-boot box, it's
rather painful in one direction between Windows and Linux.  But if I
reboot that box to Linux, it works fine between itself and another Linux
box.  Go figure...

(Yes, I'd checked through the duplex options in both OSs.)

> BTW, gigabit uses all four wire pairs in the cable.

Yep, as I said, "two pairs in each direction" (that's four pairs in one
cable).

I read messages from the public lists.