Re: kmod-nvidia not working in kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5

On 7/5/06, Scott R. Godin <scott.g@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Nowhere in this discussion have I seen "nvidia attempting to help" -- in
point of fact, in the experience of others, which I have witnessed
second and third hand, user bug reports get largely ignored in the
general scheme of things. It's only the large corporate customers whose
bugs get fixed in anything resembling a timely fashion. I'd love to see
that change, but, that'll happen right around the time it goes
open-source. :-P

Surely you're joking.  I've submitted many bugs to Redhat's bugzilla
for software that ships in their releases (both RHEL & FC), and very
few of them ever see any attention.  Redhat bows before their large
corporate customers just like NVIDIA.  You're deceiving yourself if
you think otherwise.

It's only the REST of the system that suffered because of it.
  o Horribly corrupted rpm databases? Huh?
  o Trashed swap partition (how the HELL did that happen?)
  o Perms on /etc/rc.d/ and /etc/rc.d/init.d/ suddenly being 0644
instead of 0755 (explain that one, if you can) ..
  o memory errors on DRAM that's passed memtest86 running all night (at
least 10 full test-suites, if not more), 100% cleanly?

What proof do you have that the nvidia X driver caused this?  Thus far
your only response was pointing to Mike Harris' personal FUD campaign
against binary drivers.

All sorts of 'general weirdness' that crept in gradually over _months_,
each re-install eventually resulting in different problems (some of
which I've casually grouped together above, but none of these occurred
during the same install. Each install was the eventual result of one of
the above (plus a few others) after I noticed it and did my careful best
to correct and preserve a system that I use on a daily basis.)

If you saw this:

    http://phpfi.com/125284

Would the video drivers be the first place (or the second? the fourth?
top ten?) you looked for the culprit? No? funny thing, *neither would
I*... nevertheless nvidia was indeed the source of this and other
strange problems. And that's the *only* time out of the five that I got
anything conclusive recorded as far as error messages that indicated
*something* was horribly wrong (_before_ things *went* completely
wahooni-shaped forcing a reinstall), and led me to a real, practical,
restored to full functionality, solution.

Again, what proof do you have that the nvidia X driver caused that
crash?  As you, yourself, noted, the nvidia kernel module is no where
to be found in that backtrace.

So please, spare me. If it works for you, great. I'm happy for you.
_Proceed with caution_. That road, however well-traveled, is not
well-paved.

At this point, you sound like a troll with an axe to grind.

L. Friedman                                    netllama@xxxxxxxxx
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org