phpmyadmin and mysqli vs. mysql php extension

I am running Fedora Core 4 with the following software:

httpd-2.0.54-10.3
perl-5.8.6-24
php-5.0.4-10.5
mysql-4.1.20-1.FC4.1
mysql-server-4.1.20-1.FC4.1
php-mysql-5.0.4-10.5

The php-mysql RPM provides both mysql.so and mysqli.so PHP extensions.

I downloaded and installed phpMyAdmin-2.8.2 from the project's web page
at http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/downloads.php according to the
instructions.

When I try to use the "mysqli" extension (which the phpMyAdmin FAQ says
is the "improved" MySQL extension available in php-5.0), phpMyAdmin gives
an error and says "No databases" in the left pane.

When I use the classic "mysql" extension, phpMyAdmin works as expected.

Is anyone else running phpMyAdmin on Fedora Core who is able to use
the "mysqli" extension?

			---Kayvan
--
Kayvan A. Sylvan          | Proud husband of       | Father to my kids:
Sylvan Associates, Inc.   | Laura Isabella Sylvan, | Katherine Yelena (8/8/89)