Re: Skype Handset

On Wednesday July 05 2006 1:01 am, Craig White wrote:
> then voice your support for Net Neutrality!
>
> Again, you don't have to by voip all neatly packaged...you can roll your
> own, that's what asterisk is about.
>
> Yes, the last mile is important but they are not permitted to block that
> at this point in time.

Verizon had a clause in my recent DSL contract which stipulated that if I used
the line for telephony, they could cease offering the service - I did NOT
read the clause closely, and it may have been a clause for my dial-tone only
service rather than my DSL, but, in any event, this discussion makes me want
to dig that up and read it again. I've only recently started using Skype, and
I've had no problems so far. Again, I didn't read the fine print, and I just
remember seeing that clause at the time, and it raising my dander up a bit
with a "how can they do that?" - for all I know, it may have had something to
do with setting up an independent for profit phone service in competition
with their phone offerings, using their DSL circuits, or something like
that...
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA