Re: [Fwd: Fedora Legacy Project]

Howdy,

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 21:29 +1000, John Dean wrote:
> I'm having problems getting onto the Fedora 3 Legacy Project web site?
>
> Anyone know if there is a problem with the site.
> Anyone have the instructions on setting up fedora 3 for yum?

The following are the instructions I used back in February to get  it
working. Hope it helps :-)

Using yum for Fedora Core 3

yum (Yell dog Updater, Modified) is an automated package management
program which may be used to install, remove, and update packages on an
RPM based system. It will help you to keep your system up to date and is
included in Fedora Core 3.
Step 1: Preliminaries

Linux prevents ordinary users from installing, removing, or modifying
system software, libraries, and important configuration information. So
you must have root access to proceed. You may either login as the root
user, or use the su (or sudo) commands to become the root user on the
machine.

Note: Be careful when running as root! Be sure to logout of the root
account as soon as you are done. Running as root is dangerous, and
should only be used when needed. Typos or mistakes can destroy your
system or your data, so it is important that you be careful when running
as root.

When you are running as root, your prompt will be changed to the #
character. In the command examples below, we include this prompt,
however you should not type the # character when entering a command!
Step 1.1: Determine your hardware version

Fedora Core 3 supports both the traditional 32-bit X86 machines (known
as i386 machines) as well as newer 64-bit X86 machines (known as x86_64
machines). It is important to know which of these hardware versions you
have, so you can download the correct software for your hardware.

To find out which hardware you have, login to the machine and type the
following command:

    # /bin/uname -i

The above command should return one of two values; either i386 or
x86_64. Below, when instructions or URL's differ based on the hardware,
use the instructions labeled for your hardware as output by the above
command.
Step 1.2: Check for gnupg package installation

Fedora Legacy's yum policy depends on the gnupg package being installed,
which may not be installed on your system. To be sure you have it
installed, you can execute one of the following commands as root. (Doing
this won't hurt anything if it is already installed.)

    i386:
    # rpm -Uvh
http://download.fedoralegacy.org/fedora/3/os/i386/gnupg-1.2.6-1.i386.rpm
    x86_64:
    # rpm -Uvh
http://download.fedoralegacy.org/fedora/3/os/x86_64/gnupg-1.2.6-1.i386.rpm

Step 1.3: Check for yum package installation

Chances are yum is already installed on your system. But, to be sure,
you can try to install it now (it won't hurt anything if it is already
installed). To install yum, use the following command as the root user
on your machine. (Note: the following will work for both i386 and x86_64
machines.)

    # rpm -Uvh
http://download.fedoralegacy.org/fedora/3/os/i386/yum-2.1.11-3.noarch.rpm

Step 1.4: Add the GPG keys to root's keyring

All Fedora Legacy packages are signed with GPG keys. All packages should
be verified using these keys. See
http://www.fedoralegacy.org/about/security.php for more information.

In order to properly verify the packages, you need to add the
appropriate PGP keys to your system. To import the keys, use the
following commands as the root user:

    # rpm --import http://www.fedoralegacy.org/FEDORA-LEGACY-GPG-KEY

Step 2: Configure yum for Fedora Legacy

yum from Fedora Core 3 is not configured to use Fedora Legacy for
updates. You will need to reconfigure it to use Fedora Legacy in order
to continue to receive updates. You can do this configuration via an RPM
from our web site. To do so, execute the following command as root. (The
following will work for both i386 and x86_64 machines.)

    # rpm -Uvh
http://download.fedoralegacy.org/fedora/3/legacy-utils/i386/legacy-yumconf-3-4.fc3.noarch.rpm

Step 3: Update your system

Once you have installed the yum package, you should run the following
command as the root user on your system to update your system:

    # yum update

This command will first check for and download any new update headers
(header files contain information about packages, including dependency
information) to your system's yum cache, and check if any updates are
available for packages already installed on your system. If no updates
are available for your system, it will display messages to that effect
and exit. If updates are available for your system, it will calculate
which packages are needed, including any packages needed to resolve
dependencies, and present this list to you. At this point, it will ask
you if you want to proceed, by prompting you with the question:

Is this ok [y/N]:

Answer with "y" (followed by the Enter key) to proceed with the updates,
or "n" (followed by the Enter key) to abort the updates. (Note that the
default reply is "n", so that simply pressing the Enter key without
entering "y" will be the same as entering "n").

If you answer "y" then yum will download all the actual RPM packages
needed to your system's yum cache, check for sufficient disk space to
install the updates, and then apply them to your system. (If you answer
"n", nothing will be done).

Warning: This may take some time on your first use of yum, depending on
how up to date your system is and the speed of your internet connection!
Step 4: Decide if you want automatic updates

yum has the ability to automatically apply (download/verify/install) all
updates to your system, but this feature is disabled by default. Please
refer to this autoupdates discussion to see if automatic updates are
right for you, and additional information about automatic updates. If
you want to enable that functionality, please enter the following
command as the root user on your system:

    # chkconfig yum on
    # service yum start

After typing the last line, you should see a message on the screen
confirming that nightly updates are now enabled. After that, yum will
update your system through the cron job /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron, which
will run every night (or later through anacron, if your system isn't
running all the time).

Please note that the above depends on a working cron setup on your
machine! You can check the cron log file /var/log/cron to verify it is
working. There should be at least one hourly entry each hour, and one
daily entry each day.

You can check what yum updates are being done by looking at the yum log
file var/log/yum.log for recent entries.
Step 5: Subscribe to fedora-legacy-announce

You may subscribe to the fedora-legacy-announce mailing list to be
informed by e-mail when new updates become available. This step is
optional, but highly recommended.
Step 6: Please help us with our service!

The Fedora Legacy project is always in the need of helping hands. Please
check the Participate section of our website to see what you can do to
help us. As we're a community project, our success will heavily depend
on helping hands – possibly you!

If you find a problem with an update published by The Fedora Legacy
Project, or in The Fedora Legacy Project documentation, please let us
know!
Step 7: Optionally learn additional features of yum

Below is a summary of some of the more advanced features of yum for
those who wish to know more. You do not need to know these commands to
keep your system updated; they are simply provided for those who want to
learn more about using yum to its fullest.

yum list
    List all available software.
yum check-update
    See if there are updated packages available.
yum update
    Update all installed packages that have a newer version available.
yum install <packagename>
    Install specific package(s) (and its dependencies, if missing any).
yum search <word>
    Search all known packages entries (descriptions etc) for <word>.
yum info <packagename>
    Show basic information about a package.

Copyright © 2004 The Fedora Legacy Project. All rights reserved.
The Fedora Legacy Project is not a part of Red Hat, Inc.
Fedora and Red Hat are registered trademarks of Red Hat, Inc.
Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds.
This page last modified February 21st, 2006 12:13 PM PST

> Thanks.

You're welcome.

> John.

taharka