Re: Lock homepage in firefox for normal users?[Scanned]

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 05/07/06, Chris Bradford <chrisbradford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> As an enterprise environment we lie to have control over this kind of
>> setting

> Are you really sure that this is nessaccary? No offence, but it seems
> rather control-freakish

Corporate desktops invariably have, as their home page, a portal to
their intra-net and local mail. If users, potentially more than one per
machine, futz around with the home page setting, they can easily get
lost and forget the various URLs. I would assume that the sysadmin,
wishing to save time on unnecessary support calls, would want to lock
down the home page for that purpose.

However, this is a problem that is more common on Windows, since it has
to contend with browser hijackers and "make this your homepage" type
COM/ActiveX popups, that you just don't get under Linux, nor with
Mozilla browsers. However, there is certainly no harm in locking it down
(at work) and might actually save a few headaches.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
 05:38:58 up 17 days,  5:55,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00