Re: GFS-kernel cman-kernel dlm-kernel and gnbd-kernel FC4 x86_64 update

Alessandro Brezzi wrote:
Hi all; first of all I apologize for my english.
After a relocation last year, only two week ago I regained ADSL
connectivity. My FC4 box was out of sync with all the update, so I
started a long process to fully update the software.
I use only the std repos.
I wnet in a little hell for dependency resolution: seem to me some
package in x86_64 do not declare correctly all the dependency in the
i386 version, resulting in the well know conflict. So I have to update
small portion of RPM at time, checking results, updating manually
dependency and conflicts etc. Lot of work for a supposed "dumb
procedure" to update all.
Finally I've got the result, with the ecxeption of some RPM
kernel-dependent pretending to find the
/lib/modules/2.6.15-1.1833_FC4. So, as far as I know, this is for an
older kernel; I'm running now kernel 2.6.17-1.2139_FC4.
My question is: my I remove this package from the system or I've
missed some things?

This is one of the problems you get with an "everything install". The GFS kernel modules typically lag behind the main kernel for a while and during that time, anyone with those kernel modules installed has dependency issues.

If you are not using this clustering technology (and you would know if you were, since you'd have had to configure it), the best option is definitely to remove the kernel modules from your system:

# rpm -e GFS-kernel cman-kernel dlm-kernel gnbd-kernel

Paul.