Re: Use of Cups printing in a home network.

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 18:45 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 03 July 2006 17:59, Tim wrote:
>
> Thanks for the clarification, Tim.
>
> > If you want a client to use a particular server, you enter its address
> > into the client.conf file.  If you want your client to use whatever
> > printers are offered to the network, then leave it as-is (no particular
> > client written into the client.conf file).  The server should announce
> > itself to the network every 30 seconds, and all the clients should keep
> > note of what's available to them (multiple printers, and/or print
> > servers).
> >
> > This does require the server to be set up to allow browsing.  It's not
> > by default, according to the documentation.  And, as it appears to me,
> > it doesn't quite work as you'd expect it to, as far as @LOCAL as a
> > BrowseAddress is concerned (that sets the address that the server
> > broadcasts its availability to).
> >
> > Those two factors are probably the spanner in the works.
> >
> Seems that it's probably better, then, to turn off browsing if you don't need
> to print to different servers - right?  And that's probably why mine works so
> well.  Although I have 3 definitions they are 'virtual' printers, in that
> they are actually all the same one, on the same server.  It's never been
> worth trying to get my clients to print to the windows boxes' printers - they
> are too far away.
No that is not true. Printing will occur to the server on the same lan.
To sod that yo need browsing to work and no configuration of printers on
the clients. That is how CUPS works,

My home network is the firsdt itme I have not been able to get this to
owrk without problem. It is confusing.
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look
like a nail.