Re: Checking internet connection without a winbox

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 16:30, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I concatenate several of Les's emails in this message:
>
> > There is a checkbox in the network setup that controls whether
> > you use the dhcp-supplied DNS servers or not, but others have
> > mentioned a bug in it.
>
> How do I launch that from the command line? I seem to have erased to
> many things in cleaning up the Kmenu!

system-config-network

> > Did you try the 'dig' command to
> > test each of the addresses?  If they work but are slow,
> > you could improve things by installing the caching-nameserver
> > package.
>
> I will install the package anyway, but how do you define slow? 20 ms? 80 ms?

I wouldn't change anything if dig says you are getting responses
like that.  I thought you were talking about 30 seconds for
things to happen.  You need to find something consuming some
noticeable portion of that.  Maybe it is just the screen
drawing.  Try grabbing a page with wget to see if it is
substantially faster.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx