Re: Use of Cups printing in a home network.

Tim:
>> The clients should have the original default cupsd.conf and
>> client.conf files (they need nothing done to them for browsing
>> to work).

Anne Wilson:
> Your comment about the client.conf file surprises me, as I have always
> had to add the server name in there - though nothing else.

If you want a client to use a particular server, you enter its address
into the client.conf file.  If you want your client to use whatever
printers are offered to the network, then leave it as-is (no particular
client written into the client.conf file).  The server should announce
itself to the network every 30 seconds, and all the clients should keep
note of what's available to them (multiple printers, and/or print
servers).

This does require the server to be set up to allow browsing.  It's not
by default, according to the documentation.  And, as it appears to me,
it doesn't quite work as you'd expect it to, as far as @LOCAL as a
BrowseAddress is concerned (that sets the address that the server
broadcasts its availability to).

Those two factors are probably the spanner in the works.

At some stage, it worked for me, in the past.  I don't know why it
stopped.  I don't recall changing the BrowseAddress parameter, though I
do know that some printer configuration tools will re-arrange the
configuration file.  I seriously dislike how they remove options set in
their proper places in the file, and just tacks them onto the end.  I'm
remembering to keep a back-up, this time around.

The other thing that REALLY IRRITATES me about printing, is how I'll set
the printer to be A4 paper, as a system setting.  But each and every
application ignores that and requires hand configuring from US Letter to
A4.  For heck's sake, start off with what *I've* configured as the
default.  Bloody fool programmers!!!  I can't even buy US-Letter sized
paper in Australia without seriously hunting around for it.

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.