Re: Checking internet connection without a winbox

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 05:12, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> I am sorry for the confusion. I meant sites that are hosted near my
> physical location, such as the university website. I did not mean
> sites that are hosted on my home machine. I do know the difference,
> but I wrote that at ~2:00 am and didn't think very much.

Are you 'behind' a university controlled network or directly
on the internet?  If someone else controls the network branch
there is some chance that you are behind a transparent proxy
that intercepts port 80 and tries to resolve requests from
a cache - and perhaps logs and filters what you are doing.  If
this is overloaded or mismanaged it can slow things down.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx