yum dumb? Re-installes rpms you specifically remove

My Dell laptop hates the new kernel-2.6.17, so I remove it with yum
remove kernel-2.6....

Then I go about my business and find that the yum cron job has run and
re-downloaded and re-installed that kernel.  Goddam.

Then I can put exclude=kernel-2.6.17* in /etc/yum.conf, but the
problem just starts there.  When yum runs, it finds updates for kernel
modules on atrpms (for ipw3945 wireless) and livna (video card), and
yum then fails because it cannot install those modules because it
cannot install the new kernel.  So I have to go back into
/etc/yum.conf and exclude some specific versions of those modules.

What a hassle.

Seems to me that if a person manually removes something in yum, the
system should respect that.

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson