Re: libgssapi.so.1 is needed by package nfs-utils

On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 22:03 -0800, Kam Leo wrote:
> On 6/30/06, Mathew Snyder <msnyder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I was running yum update when I encountered this:
> >
> > --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> > ---> Package nfs-utils-lib.i386 0:1.0.8-4.FC5 set to be updated
> > --> Running transaction check
> > --> Processing Dependency: librpcsecgss.so.1 for package: nfs-utils
> > --> Processing Dependency: libgssapi >= 0.9 for package: nfs-utils-lib
> > --> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
> > --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> > ---> Package libgssapi.i386 0:0.9-1.FC5 set to be updated
> > --> Running transaction check
> > --> Processing Dependency: librpcsecgss.so.1 for package: nfs-utils
> > --> Processing Dependency: libgssapi.so.1 for package: nfs-utils
> > --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> > Error: Missing Dependency: librpcsecgss.so.1 is needed by package nfs-utils
> > Error: Missing Dependency: libgssapi.so.1 is needed by package nfs-utils
> >
> > I did a search online to find out what provides the files just to make
> > sure and found that nfs-utils-lib provides it.  If I have that installed
> >
> > [root@rt RT_Setup]# rpm -qa | grep nfs-utils
> > nfs-utils-1.0.8.rc2-5.FC5
> > nfs-utils-lib-1.0.8-3.1
> >
> > why would it be giving me this error?  I didn't have this problem until
> > tonight.  I've been testing the build of the server this occurred on
> > over the course of two weeks and this is the first time this has
> > occurred.  Is there a problem with the yum repositories or the packages
> > itself?
> >
> > --
> > Mathew Snyder
> > Systems Administrator
> > Network+
> > ServerVault TechOps
> >

> Your experience is not unique. You can a) file a bug report ("a good
> thing"), b) exclude nfs-utils and update the remaining packages, c)
> wait a day or two and hope that it is a repository synchronization
> problem or d) do nothing.

I think this is the cause of the problem.
ncftp .../core/updates/5/x86_64 > ls nfs*
nfs-utils-1.0.8-2.fc5.x86_64.rpm
nfs-utils-1.0.8.rc2-5.FC5.x86_64.rpm
nfs-utils-lib-1.0.8-4.FC5.x86_64.rpm
nfs-utils-lib-devel-1.0.8-4.FC5.x86_64.rpm
The updates repo for FC5/x86_64 has an updated nfs-utils-lib package but
not the matching (by naame) nfs-utils package.  The dates show the
nfs-utils-1.0.8-2 is newer than the the rc2 package, but it still will
not update with yum.

I would class this a distribution bug, and until this is fixed the only
way I have been able to do an update is to exclude both nfs-utils\* and
libgssapi.

After looking at this and what was happening I fixed it by doing a bit
of work with rpm.
1.  downloaded the latest nfs-utils, nfs-utils-lib and libgssapi
packages.

2.  did an rpm -F  with all the 3 packages above in a single
transaction. (The -F should have had rpm erase the old package, but see
step 3)

3.  did a yum search with the following results:
[root@raptor ~]# yum search nfs-utils libgssapi | grep installed
libgssapi.x86_64            0.9-1.FC5              installed
libgssapi.x86_64            0.7-2.1                installed
nfs-utils.x86_64            1:1.0.8-2.fc5          installed
nfs-utils-lib.x86_64        1.0.8-3.1              installed
nfs-utils-lib.x86_64        1.0.8-4.FC5            installed

This shows that nfs-utils-lib and libgssapi both have multiple versions
installed.

4. I now had to identify which package names to use for cleanup, so I
did this:

[root@raptor ~]# rpm -qa nfs-utils-lib
nfs-utils-lib-1.0.8-3.1
nfs-utils-lib-1.0.8-4.FC5
[root@raptor ~]# rpm -qa libgssapi
libgssapi-0.9-1.FC5
libgssapi-0.7-2.1

5. I then removed the old packages.

[root@raptor ~]# rpm -e nfs-utils-lib-1.0.8-3.1
[root@raptor ~]# rpm -e libgssapi-0.7-2.1

6.  To test that the yum problem was now fixed I did another yum update
and it came back with the message that there was nothing to do.

Success in the update, and a workaround that can be used, but this is a
packaging bug that needs to be fixed so the yum updates work properly.