Re: New Motherboard Install - SOLVED

On 6/30/06, Ron Siven <r.siven@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is true.  I've also taken an existing Fedora installation and upgraded
MoBo and CPU (even with new memory and CD drives) without a hitch.  (This has
*never* gone well for me with windows. Linux ROCKS!!)

However, if you have the time, and you feel your configuration data is
critical it is really a good idea to take the time to do some pragmatic
backups and write down as much information as you can about your existing
setup.  (I'm no heretic, but I just felt that someone had to say it.)

Of course, sometimes it's fun to refresh your memory by doing a fresh install,
too.  I found with FC5 that things "just work" out of the box.

Let us know how it goes!

Ron

Ron and all -

You are 100% CORRECT!

FC5 handled my motherboard swap just fine.  When I pulled the old
mobo, I found that it was an older (vintage 2001) AMD Athlon.  My new
mobo has a P4.  Consider that the audio, video, ethernet, USB, IDE
controllers, and memory all changed.  The only components left over
were the CD ROM, DVD writer, 2 HDDs, and the floppy.

The bootup was flawless.  Taking earlier advice from Randy, I did boot
first into runlevel 3.  I was curious how well even this would go
because I have this box on a Belkin KVM switch using the USB port on
the PC.  The old mobo would not handle the keyboard at the GRUB
screen, but obviously would after the boot.  The new mobo is happy
with the KVM switch even letting me use it to go to the BIOS setup.

FC5 recognized that X would not start, so offered to blow away my old
X config and run the configurator tool.  That worked just fine,
letting me choose the resolution I preferred.

After a reboot, then WAHLAH!  I was at the login screen.  I logged in
and started to check it out.

Audio works just fine and am listening to streaming music as I type this report.

The USB ports handled my thumb drives just fine as well as my CD ROM
and DVD writer.  No issues at all.

I am amazed at how well this work.  The only manual intervention was
following the prompts for X configuration.  Other than that, IT JUST
WORKED!

Well done Fedora Core team!