Re: hostname and dhcp question

On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 14:39 +0800, Deepak Shrestha wrote:
> What I know is all machines (windows) are setup for obtaning the IP
> address and DNS automatically which is handeled by the DSL Modem
> Router. Same setting I found in the network setting of fedora but it
> is not working. By the way what particular thing I need to check in
> SElinux?
>
> On 6/30/06, Ankush Grover <ankush174@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         hey,
>
>         Is there any  Internal DNS Server on your Lan and does your
>         fedora
>         machine has the entry of that Internal DNS Server ? You can
>         check the
>         dns entries in /etc/resolv.conf
>
>         Moreover check the firewall and selinux settings on your
>         fedora machine.

The thing in common here that is on the machines that work and is not on
the Linux machine is WINS.
A Windows machine can get any hostname that is on the WINS server
without using DNS.  Linux by default does not do that.

NOTE: I assume since this is a network that has several Windows
machines, that it is running with a Windows server and has WINS enabled.