Re: hostname and dhcp question

On Sat, 2006-07-01 at 01:06 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 09:11 -0500, Justin Willmert wrote:
> > I'm not an expert, but by how I've always understood it, Windows
> > machines use DNS entries, hosts file entries, and *NetBIOS* name
> > broadcasts to look up other computers.
> e network
> As far as I was aware, they only played with NetBIOS to find machines
> when doing SMB type of things (Windows file sharing).  Other TCP/IP
> network activities, didn't.

Hi Tim,

I was very surprised, about a year ago, when I found that you could just
type in the NetBIOS name in a browser, and 9 times out of 10, if the
Windows system with that NetBIOS name was running a web server, you'd
see the default page displayed. You can also ping a Windows system using
only the NetBIOS name. I think this worked because the network I was in
had a WINS server.

--
Pascal Chong
email:  chongym@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"La science ne connaît pas de frontière parce que la connaissance
appartient à l’humanité. et que c’est la flamme qui illumine le monde."

-- Louis Pasteur