Re: New Motherboard Install

On Friday 30 June 2006 09:23, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Don Maxwell wrote:
> > It appears that my current motherboard is flaking out on me.  It is 6
> > yrs old so I got my money's worth out of it for sure!
> >
> > What is the prevailing thought on replacing a MB in an existing system?
> >
> > I really want to preserve what I can in terms of applications and
> > configurations.  Obviously, all the I/O will be different. Video,
> > audio, and  LAN concerns do give me pause.
> >
> > The PC has two hard disks:  One 30 GB where most everything resides
> > and one 80GB which is my /home partition.
> >
> > The options seem to be:
> > 1) Pop the new MB in and hope that Kudzu figures everything out
> > 2) Reinstall FC5 over my existing setup
> > 3) Blow away everything on my 30 GB disk and start mostly from
> > scratch, using my various backed up .conf files?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >   --Don
>
> As long as you are running a stock kernel, and using the same or an
> upgraded CPU, I would change the MB, boot into run level 3, and let
> Kudzu figure it out. In the past, I have had good luck with this.
> You will probably have to run the X configuration tool before you
> can boot into run level 5. (I am lazy - I run setup and pick the
> correct setup option.)
>
> Depending on the old and new CPU's, you may want to change the
> kernel and libc to make full use of the new CPU. One thing to keep
> in mind - if option 1 does not work, you can always proceed to step
> 2, and then step 3. Step one will not take long to do, and is worth
> it as a learning experience to see just how well Linux does handle
> hardware changes. My experience has been that, with the exception of
> your X configuration, it handles it very well, as long as you are
> not downgrading CPU's. I have not tried to let Kudzu handle changing
> the X configuration in a while, so that may even work now.
>
> Mikkel
> --
>
>   Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
> for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!

This is true.  I've also taken an existing Fedora installation and upgraded
MoBo and CPU (even with new memory and CD drives) without a hitch.  (This has
*never* gone well for me with windows. Linux ROCKS!!)

However, if you have the time, and you feel your configuration data is
critical it is really a good idea to take the time to do some pragmatic
backups and write down as much information as you can about your existing
setup.  (I'm no heretic, but I just felt that someone had to say it.)

Of course, sometimes it's fun to refresh your memory by doing a fresh install,
too.  I found with FC5 that things "just work" out of the box.

Let us know how it goes!

Ron