Re: httpd, NAT/SUA, router and DynDNS

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 01:37 +0800, Deepak Shrestha wrote:
> I have done that and the validator & was able to check my html. I can
> see my page source. So that means outside world can see my page. Is it
> possible to see my page by going to the URL which I made at DynDNS
> from within my network?

The same problem stands.  Whether you connect via name or IP address.
All a name is, is another reference to your IP.

It'll resolve to your public IP, you'll try connecting to internally,
and strike one of several problems:  As before, your router sees no
point in routing out and in again, and simply routes internally.  And if
it didn't do that, you can get snagged via a firewall (internal traffic
crossing the boundary of internal/external addresses) if you have one
set up against IP spoofing.

If you have an ISP with a proxy, you can try browsing through that.

I'd avoid the temptation to run an internal DNS server that gives you an
internal address for the server, different from the internet address for
the same domain name.  That tends to confuse other things that want to
check the address (like the tools that set your dynamic address).

You can do what I do:  Set the webserver's servername to the fully
qualified domain name (e.g. mysite.example.com), and set a server alias
to just the hostname (e.g. "mysite").  Then just browse to the hostname
internally, to check how things work.

You don't have to change the server PCs hostname to do that, just give
yet another one.

e.g. A hosts file entry like:
192.168.1.20  mycomputer.localdomain  mycomputer  mysite

Or play with CNAMES if you run your own webserver.

I read messages from the public lists.