Re: kmod-nvidia not working in kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5

On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 22:43 +0800, Deepak Shrestha wrote:
> I think my problem is not going to solve right away and I can live
> without nvidia acceleration for now. By the way how can i safely
> remove kmod-nvidia for now? Will "yum remove kmod-nvidia" will do? I
> am asking this becasue I have upgraded the kernel ( to 2.6.17) and
> removed my old kernel (2.6.15) already. So i don't know if I try to
> remove this kmod-nvidia, I might end up without X or something like
> that??? because I saw during kmod-nvidia, it changed several settings
> of X.org configs.

[massive snip including previous sig and pgp keys]

run (sudo yum remove kmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia)

then, edit and set /etc/inittab so that you boot to runlevel 3
temporarily, and then reboot.

it *should* set /etc/X11/xorg.conf back to original settings (it
preserves the original); you can double check this by looking in the
driver section. You should see the driver section show as "nv" instead
of "nvidia".

[Worst case scenario, you can trash the xorg.conf and re-run
system-config-display, but save that for extreme desperate measures.]

you can then run (startx) from your user account to test things. if all
works well, re-edit /etc/inittab back to booting at runlevel 5.