Re: kmod-nvidia not working in kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 15:12:35 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:

> On 7/3/06, Scott R. Godin <scott.g@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 18:02:00 +0800, Deepak Shrestha wrote:
> >
> > > But I did the nvidia installation as instructed in
> > > http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc5.html#nvidia
> > >
> > > I checked if kmod-nvidia is really installed or not through rpm
> and it
> > > says
> > > it is installed.
> > > ------------------
> > > $ rpm -q kmod-nvidia
> > > kmod-nvidia-1.0.8762-2.2.6.17_1.2139_FC5
> > > ----------------------
> > >
> > > Now I am confused.
> > >

> > what you should be paying attention to is the installation
> instructions
> > from the livna repo instead: http://rpm.livna.org/ also note that
> the
> > news post from March 29th points out that the steps necessary have
> > changed. (hopefully they'll get around to updating or appending the
> > original instructions to reflect the change)
> >
> > This having been said, I should warn you that with the current
> > kmod-nvidia I experienced quite a bit of error WRT memory corruption
> > that reflected back into swap, which reflected back into what
> actually
> > got onto / -- I wound up having to manually fsck /, redo my swap
> > partition, and uninstall kmod-nvidia, after which my problems went
> > away.
> >
> > Fortunately I was able to get quite a bit of debuginfo that will get
> > forwarded on to the lovely nvidia folks with a pound of thanks for
> not
> > open-sourcing their drivers so things like this could get caught
> sooner.
> > =P
> >
> > my advice: live without kmod-nvidia for now. It's *not* ready for
> > prime-time; not because of livna but because of nvidia themselves.
> >
> > Many thanks to Mike Harris for straightening me on this, and for
> > assistance with the recovery process. Cheers dude, where do I send
> the
> > beer? :)
>
> What makes you so convinced that the nvidia X driver caused this mess,
> and not hardware problems, or some other bug?

Because the nvidia driver is a steaming pile of poodle feces wrapped in
a diaper full of stale chili burritos and sun-baked to august sidewalk
temperatures? If you don't believe me, feel free to ask the lead Red Hat
guy for all things X, Mike Harris, what his opinion on and experience
with the nvidia drivers has been, with regards to

    o stability
    o general bug-free-ness
    o reproducability of errors
    o memory corruption
    o responsiveness of the Mfr. to bug-reports involving end-users

and other similarly fun topics. I'm sure he'll be more diplomatic than I
on print, but you'll easily grok the undertones of what he'd LIKE to put
in print (let alone say out loud) regarding Nvidia's driver.

Having been bitten myself and doing FOUR re-installs of FC5 over the
past few months after the system gradually went completely
wahooni-shaped unrecoverably (though I tried valiantly to save things
each time when I started noticing things going subtly weirder and
weirder), until I finally wised up and eliminated the nvidia driver from
the equation and watched my problems evaporate, I'm a believer with
logged kernel panics, a trashed swap partition that had to be remade,
and a near-totalled glibc-common (along with several other rpms) with
half its files in /lost+found/ after a massive manual fsck to prove it.
and NO re-install after removing kmod_nvidia this time. and all is
stable.

Fortunately /home is on a separate DRIVE altogether. =)

But feel free to continue losing sanity, loosening your hair, and
applying many QWERTY tattoos to your forehead in the meantime, if you
want to continue with it. Maybe you're one of the lucky ones _now_, but
you'll get bit eventually.