Re: Checking internet connection without a winbox

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 02:53, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 19:11 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > That's a classic symptom of having 2 DNS servers listed in your
> > /etc/resolv.conf with only the 2nd one actually working.
>
> When that happens, does it keep on trying the first one first, or carry
> on using the one that responded quickest?  I seemed to notice the latter
> behaviour.
>
> For instance, I have my own caching name server, with local machine
> addresses in it as well.  I also have a router with its own, non
> configurable, DNS server.  I had my computers set to use my name server
> first, and the router second.  But found that local machines weren't
> being resolved, the computers were using the router's name server (which
> happens to respond quicker).

I think when you run your own caching nameserver with forwarders
set, named will use the fastest forwarder as well as cache
the answers.  When you use the resolver library against
remote nameservers it doesn't remember much of anything
although individual applications might.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx