Re: newest nfs-utils is not yu updatable

On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 19:13 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> David Timms wrote:
>
> > If you use the graphical pup (software updater), it is pretty easy to
> > uncheck the problematic packages, so that the update (sans those two
> > packages) will actually complete.
>
> Actually the problem seems more difficult, in my case at least.
> "yum update" is still looking for packages required by nfs-utils,
> even though it is not looking for nfs-utils itself.
> Does anyone understand this?

> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> ---> Package libgssapi.i386 0:0.9-1.FC5 set to be updated
> --> Running transaction check
> --> Processing Dependency: libgssapi.so.1 for package: nfs-utils
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Missing Dependency: libgssapi.so.1 is needed by package nfs-utils
>
> I should say that this doesn't worry me in the least -
> I am perfectly happy to wait until nfs-utils is sorted out.
> But I am puzzled as to why yum is looking for packages
> required by nfs-utils, but not for nfs-utils itself.

The version of nfs-utils already installed on your system was linked
against libgssapi.so.1

Yum is proposing to update libgssapi to a version containing
libgssapi.so.2, but can't do that because it would break your existing
nfs-utils.

There is a later version of nfs-utils in the updates repository that is
built against libgssapi.so.2 and which would solve the problem, but due
to a package naming error, it appears to yum and rpm as being older than
the one you already have installed, and so yum doesn't consider using
it.

The problem has been fixed by releasing an nfs-utils update that appears
"newer" to yum and rpm than any previous release.

Paul.