Re: GNOME won't boot

On Sat, 2006-07-01 at 11:30 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
> >> After reading about your use of rpm --nodeps, I suggest in the future
> >> you either use
> >> yum remove myrpm
> >> instead. There are a few occasions where --nodeps is valuable, but
> >> mostly it is dangerous.
> >> One instance fro reading your post, you have the libglade2-devel package
> >> but not libglade.
> >> Your system is most likely hosed from all of the occasions where you
> >> used rpm -e package --nodeps. To recover, you most likely need to review
> >> your history from the terminal and reinstall the packages again.
> >
> > Here's a way of checking to see if there are any remaining dependency
> > issues on your system. You will first need to install the "yum-utils"
> > package from Fedora Extras:
> >
> > # yum install yum-utils
> >
> > The run this:
> >
> > # package-cleanup --problems
> >
> > You'll get a report of any remaining broken dependencies.
> >
> > Paul.
> >

> Thanks for mentioning the problem. I ran the program and the items
> checked out OK.
> I'm curious what the output would be for liberally using the --nodeps
> option on the system. I would not use my system for this test though.
>
>   package-cleanup --problems
>
> Setting up yum
> Reading local RPM database
> Processing all local requires
> No problems found

I wouldn't use mine for that sort of test either. However, many installs
will have issues "out of the box" as anaconda is less fussy about
resolving dependencies than yum is (it has to be, otherwise upgrades to
systems that have third-party packages installed would fail). So, here's
the output from one of the boxes at work, which I shall fix later today:

# package-cleanup --problems
Setting up yum
Reading local RPM database
Processing all local requires
Missing dependencies:
Package moin-fastcgi requires mod_fastcgi
Package mgdiff requires libXm.so.3
Package tcptraceroute requires libpcap.so.0.8.3

Paul.