Re: ntpd vs selinux

On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 11:00 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> This avahi-daemon is a new item to me.  Should I bugzilla it for not
> restarting ntpd if it was found to be running?

Hmm, not sure.  The problem really is with NTP that it doesn't sort
something like that out for itself.  We can't really expect any
networking system to go around restarting every server, nor would we
want it to, every time your IP changed.

It is a known problem with NTP, and I seem to recall that they were
trying to come up with a solution.  I just worked around it by running a
script after a PPP interface has gone up.  The system scripts are set up
to call something afterwards, but I forget the filename for certain.
All I had to do was put my NTP restart command into it.

This script is run after an interface goes up, it notifies things that
want to be notified (NTP ought to be one of them), and you can customise
it yourself:  /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-post (though I don't
know what'll happen next time it gets updated by YUM).

I don't have a copy of what I did before, anymore, to check.

I read messages from the public lists.